Looking for that perfect gift this holiday season? Young or old, the gift of oral health is the gift that keeps on giving. It doesn’t have to be expensive either.
Do you have an elderly relative that has stopped driving? Consider taking them to their dentist appointment. Not only will they be grateful for the lift, but they will also enjoy your company. Think about small kids who are starting to make a dental routine part of their lives. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, and kid-sized floss have come a long way and make great gift fillers. The packages now come bearing your favorite character and color, can be battery operated and even play music. For those with a more extensive budget, in-office treatments are often a big hit. Laser whitening treatments, veneers, Invisalign or even Botox treatments can be purchased on a gift card. Do you know someone without dental coverage? Consider a gift card for a cleaning appointment.
“Since the consumption of cookies and candies – and their potential harm to everyone’s teeth – is inevitable this holiday season, Delta Dental recommends stuffing your loved one’s stocking with gifts that combat tooth decay.
Consider the following items for stocking stuffers:
- A toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste –Removing plaque left by holiday sweets will help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Give a toothbrush with soft, rounded nylon bristles.
- Dental floss –Dental floss will help remove food from those hard-to-reach areas. Waxed floss may be easier to slide through tight teeth while unwaxed floss is better for greater tooth contact. For a special treat, give holiday-flavored floss, like cinnamon. Children sized “flossers” are now available to make flossing fun.
- Sugar-free candy and/or gum –Many studies have shown that chewing sugar-free gum after meals and snacks helps reduce the acid level and can stimulate the flow of saliva, which cleanses the mouth. Give gum that includes xylitol, an artificial sweetener believed to reduce the incidence of cavities.
- Tongue scrapers- These tools clean the bacterial build-up, food debris, fungi, and dead cells from the surface of the tongue. Tongue cleaning the best solution for bad breath.
- Mouthwash, full size and/or travel size– always a great option when used in conjunction with good hygiene habits.