The Benefits of Early Orthodontic Treatment
While we can enhance a smile at any age, there is an optimal time period to begin treatment. For children, beginning treatment at an earlier age ensures the greatest result and the least amount of time and expense.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that an initial orthodontic evaluation should occur around age 7, which is about the time the upper permanent front teeth begin to erupt. Because we do orthodontics here every day, we do an orthodontic evaluation as part of our normal exam for you at every cleaning. Our patients love the fact that they “know where things stand” at all times for decision making.
This early evaluation allows us to detect potential problems and identify opportunities for more effective treatment. Early intervention guides growth and development, preventing serious problems later. When orthodontic intervention is not necessary, we simply monitor your child’s growth and development, and we begin treatment when necessary.
We do recommend a two-phased orthodontic treatment for young children, because this process helps develop an ideal, healthy, functional, aesthetically correct and comfortable result that will remain stable.
Some of the most direct results of early orthodontic treatment are:
• Creating room for crowded erupting teeth
• Preserving space for un-erupted teeth
• Reducing the need for tooth removal
• Reducing treatment time with braces
Other benefits of early treatment:
• Correction of harmful habits, such as thumb sucking and tongue thrusting
• Improved speech
• Reduction of time in fixed braces
• Improvement of nasal breathing
• Improvement to or elimination of airway constriction
• Development of the arches leading to beautiful, broad smiles
• Elimination of grinding of the teeth at night
• Possible prevention of headaches and earaches
If you have questions about our orthodontic treatment planning, please feel free to contact us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-761-7666.